Skip to Content
Find a Job

The Commercial Learner's Permit (CLP) & Becoming a Truck Driver

The Commercial Learner’s Permit (CLP) is an authorization given to you by your state of residence that allows you to practice your driving skills in a commercial motor vehicle. Getting a CLP is one of the first things you need to get your Class A CDL - the license you need get a job as a heavy duty truck driver with Roehl Transport.


We’ve provided these instructions, sample CDL practice tests and other links and resources to help you as you work toward getting your CDL in our paid training truck driving job.

How do I get my CLP?

Getting your CLP has several steps.

The very first thing you will want to do is start studying. 
Similar to how you got your first driver's license, you will take written tests at your local drivers’ licensing office.

We've provided links to each state, and each state provides various levels of support. And, each state has its own Commercial Driver's License Manual. We've provided a link to an older PDF of the Commercial Driver's License Manual available through the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration. The link will open in a new window, or, if your are using a computer, you can right click and choose "Save As" to save the document. CDL Manual - Use for CLP Studying

To get your CLP as a part of Roehl’s Get Your CDL Program, please study sections:

  • 1 Introduction
  • 2 Driving Safely
  • 3 Transporting Cargo Safely
  • 5 Air Brakes
  • 6 Combination Vehicles

Sections 4, 7, 8, 9 and 10 do not pertain to you at this point. Once you are in the Get Your CDL Program, you'll learn the material in sections 11, 12, and 13. 

After you’ve had your Roehl interview and completed your physical, take your physical results and your Federal Medical card to your local drivers’ license service center. In most cases, you get your CLP after your physical because you will need the physical results to be issued your permit. Note: some states may require you to provide proof of citizenship to obtain your CLP. Check with your driver licensing center to find out the requirements in your state.


When you go to the driver licensing center, the three tests you must take and pass to get your CLP, which you'll need for your Class A CDL, are:

If you live in Texas, you'll also need to study for and pass the Texas Commercial Rules exam.

Many states offer practice CLP tests. Use the list below to help you find the resources available in your state.  

Resources by State

Use these links to locate the resources your state provides with regards to locations, fees for tests and licensing, study materials and CDL practice tests.

Roehl hires from many of the states on this list for our paid Get Your CDL truck driving job, however you will want to apply to confirm we're hiring in your area. If you want to check where Roehl hires and trains in the GYCDL program, please use the map on this job description.


If you discover a link that is broken or bad, please send an email to with the state name so we can get it updated.

Learn more about our Paid CDL Training Program Truck Driving Job

Our truck driving job with paid CDL training is very popular. If you have questions, you may want to get answers using our Get Your CDL Program Frequently Asked Questions.

We've created a detailed list of instructions to help you understand the application and hiring process. Use the following link:

Get Your CDL Step-by-Step Instructions or view our How to Get Your CDL and a Truck Driving Job infographic.

To learn more, including how you can apply using our online selection and learning process, please visit our Get Your CDL Program overview page.


User Rating
Roehl CDL Practice Tests
Rated 4.7/5 based on 1242 ratings

5 star
4 star
3 star
2 star
1 star